So it’s been about a bazillion years since I pulled together my favorites for a Friday, but I’m really excited about this list for y’all this morning, and I hope you enjoy.
- The Chicago Sun-Times laid off its entire photo staff last week and is opting to train their reporters to photograph on their iPhones. Needless to say, the photojournalism community is heartbroken and outraged. Some responses have been poignant, others hysterical. And Alex Garcia’s 10 responses to the layoffs are brilliant, too, calling out and expanding upon different (incorrect) talking points that have circulated since.
- Traditionally, architecture photos aren’t my thing. However, these images of wooden houses and structures are both fascinating and beautiful. And they kind of make me want to add more natural wood to my home… or, you know, spend more time in a treehouse.
- FStoppers pulled together some powerful images from Flickr covering the protests in Turkey’s government. The Big Picture also compiled some phenomenal photographs of these protests, too.
- I cannot stop looking at Matthew Tischler’s portraits through screens.
Odds & Ends
- Helen Mirren had tea with a boy who is dying from cancer as the Queen after the ACTUAL Queen turned the boy’s request down. Wow.
- Maps showing the deepest linguistic conflicts in the U.S. You shouldn’t be surprised to know that all but a few, my linguists matched those of the Deep South.
- If you’re easily amused like me: Movies that have the same exact plot if you had to describe them in one sentence.
- These Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies look like a fabulous weekend treat, no?
And that’s all I got for today. What about y’all?